Strengthen Soft Tissue Repairs with
BioFiber™ Absorbable Biologic Scaffold
What Is BioFiber?
An advancement in orthopedic absorbable polymers, BioFiber is the first orthopedic soft tissue scaffold that:
- Reinforces the suture-tendon interface
- Mechanically reinforces tendon repairs
- Made from P4HB — A non-synthetic polymer that breaks down into natural occurring metabolites that allow healing without additional inflammation
- Creates a cell friendly environment for rapid incorporation of soft tissue
BioFiber - CM
What is BioFiber - CM?
BioFiber - Collagen Matrix is comprised of the same P4HB material with the addition of a type 1 bovine collagen coating which increases vascularization and cell density at the site of repair.
- Provides long-term support while serving as a biocompatible scaffold for host tissue in-growth
- Distributes tissue loads during the healing process while allowing for return of natural tendon attachment to bone
- Provides support during healing to permit return to normal joint mechanics
- Designed to provide support to damaged soft tissue to maintain structural integrity
- High failure rates for older patients or patients with thin, weak tendons
- High failure rates for larger tears
- Patients with comorbid conditions
- Suture line tears
- Tissue that forms post repair is mechanically weaker than native tissue
BioFiber Reinforced Tendon:
73% Increase in Suture Retention vs. Control
Average suture retention strength for BioFiber reinforced tendons
was 110 N and the control tendons were 65 N which is an
increase of 73 ± 37% (p < 0.0001)
Data on file at Tornier, Inc.
Barber, A. et al. Tendon augmentation grafts: biomechanical failure loads and failure patterns.
Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. 2006; 22-5: 534-538.
* BioFiber (3 cm x 3 cm)
** Mattress stitch 5 mm or more from an edge
BioFiber is available in multiple shapes and sizes which allows for a wide range of indications and repairs using a simple and fast surgical technique.
- Rotator cuff repair
- Small tears
- Medium tears
- Subscapularis repair
- Achilles tendon repair
- Retrocalcaneal enthesiopathy
- Lateral ankle instability
- Quadriceps tendon repair
- Patellar tendon repair
- Hip abductor tendon repair
- Temporary wound support required to reinforce soft tissues where weakness exists or for the repair of hernia or other fascial defects that require the addition of a reinforcing material to obtain the desired surgical result.
- Reinforcement of soft tissues, in conjunction with sutures and/or suture anchors during tendon repair surgery; including the reinforcement of rotator cuff, patellar, achilles, biceps and quadriceps tendons.
- Biofiber is intended for single patient, one time use only
- Biofiber is not intended for use as a replacement for normal body structures or to provide the full mechanical strength to support structures.
A complete list of contraindications can be found in the “instructions for use” packaged with the implants.
BioFiber -CM Product Codes
Strips: 20 mm x 30 mm (1 strip/unit box)
|BFR100302||Box of 1|